Tuesday, September 13, 2011

6 weeks old, baptism, and almost 7 weeks old!

Well, I missed Ethan's 6 week post as we were in Western KS and I didn't take the time to update.  Since the last update he has also been baptized!  I am going to go ahead and post now instead of waiting until Thurs for his 7 week post as I will be having company!  Ethan's Aunt Maleia and cousin Grace are coming to visit and we can't wait!!

Ethan's first long car ride went wonderfully.  He slept from Topeka to almost Hays (almost 3 hours), we stopped for him and us to eat in Hays and for him to stretch, then he slept another hour, we stopped again for him to eat and stretch, and then he slept the final hour!  He was a breeze to travel with on this trip! 

We had so much fun in Western KS.  When we got to my grandparents house on Friday night we had a huge surprise waiting for us, my parents had surprised me by flying my brother out for the week and for the baptism.  We hadn't seen him in almost 2 years so the time with him was awesome!  I was so glad he got to meet his nephew! 

Saturday some of our family friends threw Ethan and I a shower at my home church.  We had a wonderful time with great cookies and fellowship.  Ethan got a lot of cute clothes in bigger sizes, which is great! 

Jed's parents even drove out to Sharon Springs for the weekend's festivities.  We all stayed in the B&B in Sharon Springs Saturday night, which is in the building that used to be my church (huge renovations, very cool!).  Unfortunately his brother and sister-in-law and niece weren't able to make it due to sickness, but they were there with us in spirit! 

Sunday morning we went out to the Dinas Church to have Ethan baptized.  This is my Grandparents church and is where I was baptized.  The minister that baptized Ethan also baptized me, my dad, my grandparents, and my great-grandparents.  That's 5 generations!  It was very special.  What made it even more special was Ethan was able to wear the baptismal gown that Jed, his dad, and his grandma wore.  Needless to say, Ethan did have a diaper leak, but ivory soap did the trick and the gown is just like before he wore it!  After the baptism, we headed to my grandparents house for a wonderful lunch and time together.  Jed and his parents then headed back to Topeka and Ethan and I were without Jed for the first time in Ethan's short life.

On Monday we went down to the nursing home in Tribune where my Great-Grandma lives.  My great-grandma's health is failing and is not usually mentally with us.  But, on this day, she was with us mentally most of the time, knew who we all were and was even able to hold Ethan!  We got a wonderful 5 generation picture.  It was a blessing from God to have this time with her. 

On Tuesday, Lester, Ethan and I headed up to Bird City to spend the rest of the week.  We got to show Ethan off at the school in Sharon Springs before we headed north and then at the school in Bird City when we got there.  He was definitely a hit!  Friday, Lester, my parents, Ethan, and I headed back to Topeka.  Ethan didn't do as great on this trip, but he still did really well.  We were both really glad to see Jed when we got back.  We took my brother to the airport in KC on Sunday and my parents headed home.  We had a great week and a half together and it was a time I will never forget!  We love our family!!

Ethan has made lots of progress lately.  I had him weighed today and he weighed in at 13 lbs 5 oz.  17 oz in 14 days which is just a little over the average gain! I have officially stopped using size 1 diapers and will just save the ones I have left for another baby (we were having way too many blowouts).  He loves to "stand" on his legs, with the help of someone of course and is still doing great at holding his head up.  He is starting to scoot himself around when he is laying down.  He loves to stretch out, especially after being swaddled all night!  He is so fun to watch.  Yesterday he had a first - he grabbed on to a ring that was hanging from his play mat and held onto it!  He makes such funny noises!  He is doing better at napping during the day, which is wonderful.

Only 1 1/2 more weeks until I head back to work :(.  I am not ready for it, but I know we will both be fine. 

Here are tons of pictures!
Uncle Lester and Grandpa time on the floor

Taking a bath in Granny's kitchen sink

All swaddled up

Hanging out on the school bus with Grandpa

Having a bottle with Aunt B

Getting dressed for the baptism



Us and Rev Paul McNall who baptized Ethan





Reading about Corey the Combine


5 generations




Ethan and his second cousin Abby who is 6 days older than him but was 6 weeks premature.

Ethan looks like a giant!

Shower hostesses





Ethan and his grandma's

All dressed up for his baptism



Great-grandma Bolen

Great-grandpa Bolen

Great-granny Smith

Mom's second graders

Before Lester flew out

Go Chiefs!








3 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry I couldn't be there. It looks like you had a great time, and that's so awesome Lester could be there with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like it was a fun trip. How fun that Lester surprised you guys! I love the sweet family pictures of you at Ethan's baptism. It looks like it was a special experience (and how cool is it that he was the 5th generation baptized by the same minister!) Good luck with going back to work!

    ReplyDelete